This is an ongoing discussion group, co-hosted by Ian Mitroff and Judi Neal on the broad topic of “Global Consciousness and Social Challenges.” Each bi-monthly meeting focuses on a particular social challenge and looks at how our research, teaching and activism can be informed by spirituality and global consciousness. This next conversation focuses on “Civics, Citizenship and Democracy."
This group is sponsored by the Management, Spirituality and Religion (MSR) division at the Academy of Management. This event is open to all, whether or not you are a member of MSR.
Description and Questions:
With the advent of ChatGPT, LLM, and other rapidly emerging technologies, members of MSR have been having meaningful explorations about our role in the ethical development and use of these technologies in our research, teaching, consulting, and social activism. Right now, JMSR has a call for papers out for a special issue in the Octave Institute sponsored series on “Technologies that Enable Global Consciousness: Integrating Science and Wisdom for an Era of Well-being,” edited by Marilyn Schlitz and Stacey Guenther. Integrating new technologies in a conscious way has become a central interest within MSR and elsewhere.
All are welcome to join us in this open-ended discussion; Here are some potential questions we might explore:
- What is the potential of AI for our MSR research on management topics related to faith, spirituality, or consciousness? What are the challenges?
- What would an ethical and spiritual social media platform look like? Imagine a conscious version of Facebook, for example. How could MSR researchers, faculty and teachers help identify and develop conscious leaders who could develop more conscious platforms?
- What is the potential of virtual reality (VR) in our research and teaching on levels of consciousness and/or transcendent experiences. For example, Marilyn Schlitz is conducting VR-based research on the potential of the overview effect to heal grief. How might that be applied to management topics? To global consciousness?
- What principles could guide us in using emerging technologies in reducing polarization and creating global consciousness. If we could create a list of principles, we could post them in op eds in places like Medium and elsewhere.
- What work are you currently engaged in that utilizes emerging technologies?
- What technologies are you most concerned about and why?
- What technologies would you like to learn more about and why?